When talking about home-based charcoal grills for the average user, a few names come to mind. And Landmann’s stands at the very top, along with several other award-winning brands. Landmann is an international brand that specializes in BBQ grills. It offers gas grills, pellet grills, fire pits, and our personal favorite, the vertical smoker. All of these are categorized by their durable construction and reliable features.
But how do these charcoal grills compare against each other? And which one should you go for? We’re here to answer all these and more in our best Landmann charcoal grills review.
The Top 4 Best Landmann Charcoal Grills in 2022
- Forged of heavy-duty stainless steel and painted matte black, the Landmann Vista is a one-of-a-kind charcoal grill. This grill merges a traditional grill design with a more modern look, fully integrated with steel handles, cranks, and a chimney.
- Its seamless boxy design signifies that it’s from a modern era. But the mechanical elements, such as the crank and the chimney, make it look like a desirable antique. But the Landmann Vista has a lot more going for it than just its looks. For starters, this BBQ grill has a primary cooking area of about 374 square inches. And it has a warming rack area of about 201.9 square inches. The primary area is consistent with that of other grills, designed for accommodating larger families.
- On the very front of the grill there is an access hatch that opens into the charcoal pan. The hatch has a steel handle, but there’s a rubber cover so you won’t burn your hands. Inside, you’ll find a charcoal pan that automatically dumps into the ashtray below.
- What makes this pan so special is adjusting its height using the crank lever at the side. By varying the size of the pan, you can increase or decrease the temperature. This is much better than having to add in more coals for more heat. Speaking of adding coals, the Vista makes it easier to do so mid-barbecue with its hinged grate. Pull the grate back, or “fold” it, and add the coals to the charcoal pan.
- If you want even more control over the temperature and smoke, it has a damper as well as a chimney. The level of control is what makes this one of the best Landmann charcoal grills.
- For people who are fond of small, kettle-like grills, the Piccolino is the best Landmann charcoal grill. The first thing you’ll notice about this grill is its small size. It’s shaped like a kettle or a wok and is hardly a foot in height. Since it’s so small, you can expect it to have a smaller cooking area. It has a diameter of 34 cm, enough for a maximum of 4 people. So it’s not the right choice for large family gatherings. But that only means that it’s a much more personal product.
- The lid and bowl are made of chrome, which is resistant to rust sturdy and durable. The finish is a cross between matte and gloss. And the three legs are made from steel, lending it durability and strength.
- Before we take a look inside, take note of the lid. It has a built-in temperature gauge, a damper vent for smoke, and a rubber handle. The damper would’ve been better if it was closer to the charcoal pan. But this is an excellent way to control smoke too. As for the inside, there’s a small grate coated with porcelain enamel that distributes heat evenly. The enamel also protects the iron underneath from rusting and grease damage. On the grease topic, this grill, unfortunately, does not have a smart ash management system. So, it can get a bit messy when cooking.
- The main reason why you should buy this grill is its small size. It can be used indoors (with adequate ventilation. Do not use grills indoors without ventilating the space). If you want to save space on your counter or enjoy a personal grill, this is the best choice.
- The Landmann Charcoal Grill borrows a lot from the Vista, but it adds its unique twist. Besides the primary and secondary cooking areas, this grill has an offset smoker at the side. This smoker’s primary purpose is to circulate a maximum amount of smoke and make smoky flavor as possible. What this means for you is you can smoke and grill at the same time. You can use this when you only want to smoke some burgers or if there’s no space on the primary grill.
- And while we’re talking about it, the Landmann has a lot to offer in terms of space. Not only does it have over 730 inches of cooking space, but it also has a foldable side table. So you get a lot of room to prepare and rest food. It has a charcoal pan that can be accessed from the front door. Its pan can be lifted and down to vary the temperature. And you can make use of the damper vent and the chimney to control smoke and oxygen intake.
- To elaborate on that, the damper is placed at the side, at about the same level as the charcoal pan. This placement is perhaps what makes this one of the best Landmann charcoal grills. It varies oxygen flow directly to and from the charcoal pan. The chimney is at the top of the lid for venting smoke. Unfortunately, the side smoker doesn’t have a chimney.
- Apart from that, the design is also aesthetically pleasing. It’s black and boxy and looks modern with a hint of antiquity. It has a built-in lid thermometer and an additional rack at the bottom for storing essentials. It also has two wheels for moving it around.
- Now here’s something you don’t get to see every day – the Landmann Vertical Smoker. Yes, you heard that right – a vertical smoker. While not the first of its kind, it’s rare to see one still in continuation.
- The Landmann Smoky Mountain is a vertical smoker that stands 34 inches tall and has a primary cooking space of 693 square inches. This is a lot more than any other charcoal grill offers. This is enough to accommodate large families, or even more than one family at a time.
- However, keep in mind that this is just a smoker. For reference, smokers operate at lower temperatures than grills and take longer to cook the food. Their main goal is to produce as much smoke as possible and saturate it into the food. So, don’t expect to sear or char your food with this. Its applications are limited to just as a smoker.
- Being this big, you would expect the heat to flow out once you open the door quickly. However, you won’t have to do that often. The bottom has an easy-access drawer that extends into the wood chip box and water container. It prevents the heat from seeping out and retains the temperature inside the smoker. The chamber door has strong welded metal hinges, which keep it shut tight. And since it’s magnetic, opening and closing are a breeze.
- Inside the chamber, you’ll find four cooking grates that can be adjusted in height to fit in more food. The grates are plated with chrome to allow even heat distribution and prevent cold spots. Indeed, it is the best Landmann charcoal grill for smoking. It’s a phenomenal piece of equipment that’s both capacious and functional.
FAQs and Tips:
Is Landmann a good brand?
Landmann has been in the barbecuing game for over 50 years. It was the first grilling company in Germany. And it continues to stay up to that standard even today. So yes, it’s quite a reliable brand with customer-friendly policies that ensure your satisfaction.
Charcoal Grill vs. Smoker?
Charcoal grills or any grill provides extreme levels of heat. They heat the food in a short amount of time, allowing for charring and searing. On the other hand, smokers simmer the food at a lower temperature to generate enough smoke.
What can I use Landmann charcoal grills for?
Landmann charcoal grills can be used for just about anything. Roasting, searing, broiling, charring, even smoking. It all depends on how you use it.
Landmann is a monument of smart grill design and customer satisfaction. It stands above the rest due to its reliable services and durable products. In this article, we looked at some of the best Landmann charcoal grills.
However, only one – the Landmann Vista – made it to the final cut. This is an excellent choice for anyone within a budget who wants a grill that looks good and stays operational. Its design is both aesthetically pleasing as well as niftily designed. But at the end of the day, your opinion matters the most. So pick out a BBQ grill and vamp up your tailgate party!
And what will be the best Landmann charcoal grill in 2023? If you are interested in this subject subscribe us and share your opinion in a comment. Thank you!