Barbecuing in the summer has its own gist to it. But without proper equipment, a summertime grilling session can be dreadful. Small portable electric smokers make grilling fun and easy. Grilling equipment is easy to find, but good grilling equipment can be impossible to get your hands on. This is why we have prepared this list of 6 of the best portable electric smokers for your use. These were chosen based on their overall quality, performance, and ease-of-use.
We listed the products after testing them for both performance and durability. We checked if the target temperature was achieved. Moreover, we also checked if the grill could survive even at high temperatures. For low-temperature grills, we tested how long the grill could run before running out of fuel. Only the best of the best made it to our list. We did not factor customer support into our judgment.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s dive right into the best small electric smokers.
Benefits of a small sized smoker
A small sized smoker has tons of benefits. The first and most obvious one is portability. Being able to move your grill around and perch it on tailgates is a superpower only a few can possess. A small smoker makes it easier to carry the grill and does not pain the back or neck. The second benefit is the cooking speed. Because the smoker is small, more steam will build up in a tinier area. This, in turn, will cook your steaks faster and allow you to save time. And if your small smoker is electric, then you get the benefits of energy saving as well.
The Top 6 Small Electric Smoker in 2019
|Electric Smoker||Energy Output||Weight||Cooking Space||Price|
|Masterbuilt 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker||1400 W||21.6 lbs.||Unknown|
|Pit Boss Grills 77221 Digital Smoker||1650 W||58 lbs.||593 sq. in.|
|Masterbuilt 20078616 Electric Bullet Smoker||1650 W||17.58 lbs.||395 sq. in.|
|Smoke Hollow 26142E Electric Smoker||1500 W||34.7 lbs.||1.3 cu. ft.|
|Char-Broil Simple Smoker, SmartChef||1500 W||30 lbs.||Unknown|
|Little Chief Front Load Smoker||250 W||12.16 lbs.||216 sq. in.|
- Masterbuilt’s electric smoker is a great beginning choice for those who are just starting out. It’s small, lightweight, and compact, and has almost everything you need to get a tailgate party started. It features a 1,400-watt heater that has two racks. The racks are plated with chrome, so you get durability as well. 1,400 watts is an impressive number for small smokers, especially if they’re electric. The high heat output lets it cook food to a high temperature. This paves the way for a medium rare steak or roasted greens.
- Apart from that, the product also features a thermometer along with a wood chip tray that pulls right out. This smoker is very easy to operate and is a great choice for beginners. The whole unit weighs a little more than 20 pounds. The legs fold down to allow easy transportation. This small electric smoker is both portable and qualitative. The lightweight and heavy performance only compliments the visible temperature gauge. The gauge shows approximately the exact temperature inside the cabinet. So you can keep track of how hot your food is cooking.
- We would recommend the Masterbuilt 20073716 as the best barbecue choice for anyone who is just starting out. It has everything you need to get started. It is completely safe to use.
- The Pit Boss Grills 77221 has a unique design that makes even the most modern smokers shiver. The product is what we call a digital smoker. It looks and feels different, and cooks differently too. Digital smokers like this have a digital LED screen and controller. This allows you to monitor the temperature and smoke pressure. What makes it the best small electric smoker is that it also comes with three grilling racks coated with porcelain. The racks are about 593 square inches in area. So you get a wider cooking area but a smaller component.
- This product also includes a water pan coated with porcelain. It is a stand-up smoker with a door and window to look inside. This means that you can trap the smoke inside while also being able to check if your steak is done. This is a much better alternative than putting a cloche and having to remove it every 5 minutes. The walls of the cooker are two-ply and coated with insulation.
- Overall, the Pit Boss smoker has an energy output of 1,650 watts. This is high enough to roast any steak or grill any celery. But the small and compact design makes it the best small electric smoker. Pit Boss has enjoyed the limelight for quite some time, and we don’t think it will be going anywhere soon. We love the modern design and the viewing window. The window is its best feature that many other smokers do not provide.
- Here’s yet another product from Masterbuilt. We’ve included a few products from the same brand if they stand out enough. This Masterbuilt machine is one of the best small electric smokers for small parties and gatherings. The minute size and portable design make it better for tailgate parties. It provides a cooking space of about 395 square inches. This should be enough to cook a few burgers and steaks. It also includes two cooking racks covered with porcelain to give optimal durability.
- The energy output is about 1,650 watts, which is high enough to grill just about anything. Let’s not forget that smokers usually don’t have a very high output. However, even with that, this smoker is able to reach about 400 degrees within minutes. Apart from that, this kit includes a wood chip tray, a water bowl, and a drip pan. All of these are coated with porcelain to give them utmost shelf life. The body is insulated so as to trap heat and smoke. The smoke is circulated within the chamber frequently, cooking your food from every corner.
- Another thing to note is that this Masterbuilt smoker has an in-built temperature gauge. With the thermometer, you can keep track of the internal temperature, allowing cooking more accurately. It is maybe the best small electric smoker for small gatherings. However, for larger gatherings, you might want to buy a bigger smoker cabinet. Small smokers just aren’t meant for big parties.
- The Smoke Hollow 26142E is unlike any other electric smoker. This smoker is tiny, easy-to-carry, and extremely lightweight. But what makes it to be one of the best small electric smoker is the power output. It offers an output of 1,500 watts. This is optimal for smaller electrical smokers, as they don’t require much heat. The product is in the form of a cabinet smoker. Unfortunate, it does not feature a viewing window. So you will need to open the door every time to check up on your food. However, we find that the sealed door will keep the smoke inside for longer.
- This product also includes two grilling racks coated with chrome to strengthen them. It also features a water pan and a wood chip tray covered with porcelain. All of these extra coatings make it one of the best small electric smokers for its durability. The smoker has a cooking area of about 1.3 cubic feet. This is quite impressive for a small smoker. The door has a cool-touch spring wire handle and latch system that makes opening easier and smoother. The product also features handles on the side to increase portability.
- Speaking of portability, the Smoke Hollow weighs just around 34 pounds. This isn’t as lightweight as the other products we’ve seen. But the compact design definitely negates that. Overall, it is maybe the best for anyone who wants both power output and durability. But it doesn’t have a viewing window or expansive cooking space.
- Char-Broil is an exclusive brand that is well-known among the tailgating community. However, if you’ve ever used it yourself, you’d know what all the hype is about. Char-Broil’s grills and smokers are always top-of-the-class with exceptional performance. This smoker from Char-Broil is one of the best small electric smokers with SmartChef Technology. What exactly is this technology? By downloading the SmartChef app, you can get constant readings of the chamber temperature and cook time over the Wi-Fi. This allows you too accurately and remotely measure heat output. This is the first product on our list to use this technology. Because of this, Char-Broil’s grills stand above the rest.
- The electrical cord is about 3 feet long, which is enough to connect to any nearby power outlet. The internal chamber is able to reach critical temperatures of 500 degrees. You can use this smoker electrically, or you can use wood chips to fuel the grid.
- It is a great device. And with SmartChef technology, it becomes one of the best smokers in the market.
- Smokehouse’s Little Chief is a one of a kind grilling smoker. If you’re interested in buying the best small electric smoker for a family gathering, this should be it. Smokehouse has made tremendous leaps in customer service and quality control. This smoker uses a 250-watt heating element that cooks your food perfectly. As you may have guessed it, this isn’t enough to reach very high temperatures. That’s because this is a slow smoker which focuses more on how long the food is kept in it. It can reach up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This is optimal for slow cooking food.
- The product is only for slow smoking. So if you want to cook food faster, this isn’t for you. The grilling racks can hold up to 25 pounds of food. This means you can slow cook more food, reducing cooking time. This smoker also includes specially engineered smoke circulation. This allows the smoke to reach every part of the sausage. Smokehouse’s smoker is the most authentic product we’ve seen. The smoker is certified by UL, CSA, and CUL. Moreover, Smokehouse offers a 2-year limited warranty that covers basic damage. Warranty policies are a great way to get a replacement or refund with zero hassle.
- Being certified by CUL and UL, you can be assured that this Smokehouse smoker is completely safe to use. It will not create cooking and suffocation hazards and is protected from fire damage.
Smoking a good tailgate is not an easy task. However, with the proper smokers, even beginners can take things up a notch. Out of all 6 of our products, we found that the Pit Boss was the best small electric smoker. Reason well, the high energy output and customized design. We just couldn’t help but marvel at its performance.
We loved testing these smokers and getting to familiarize ourselves with them. However, in the end, the ultimate choice is yours. Pick out your favorite small smoker and make that purchase.
And what will be the best small electric smoker in 2020? If you are interested in this subject subscribe us and share your opinion in a comment. Thank you!