Charcoal grilling is cheap, easily can be done, and produces spectacular results. It allows for searing, charring, and roasting at high temperatures. And the smoky texture is a plus.
But what defines a good, or rather, the best home charcoal grill? How do you know which grill to go for? And what are some of the best grills for this purpose? Read the article to find out 5 of the best candidates, and why they’re recommended.
So, let’s begin!
The Top 5 Best Home Charcoal Grills in 2022
|Products||Cooking Area (sq. in.)||Type||Weight||Price|
|Weber Premium Kettle Grill||363||Kettle||32.3 lbs.||Check Price|
|Char-Broil Kettleman||360||Kettle||36 lbs.||Check Price|
|Royal Gourmet||393 + 205||Regular||59 lbs.||Check Price|
|BEAU JARDIN||255||Kettle||15.47 lbs.||Check Price|
|Cuisinart CCG-290||150||Kettle||20 lbs.||Check Price|
- Weber Premium borrows from Weber’s original kettle grill design. It measures 22 inches in width and has a cast iron grate that can offer up to 363 square inches of cooking space. That’s enough to accommodate 13 burgers.
- This grill flaunts many of Weber’s proprietary features that can be seen in other grills. It has the famous aluminum damper that allows smoke venting. And the ashtray at the bottom can be unlocked for easy ash dumping.
- However, there is one feature that the other Weber kettle grills lack – the hinged grill grate. You can simply pull back the grate if you want to add more coals to the charcoal tray while cooking. Unfortunately, the coal tray is not adjustable in height, so if you want a higher temperature, you’ll have to add more coals. But you get a lot in terms of storage. The bottom has a rack on which you can keep the essential items for the cooking.
- The Char-Broil Kettleman is quite similar to the original kettle grill design, but it has its twists and turns. This charcoal grill employs infrared technology, a modern facet for char-broilers.
- It works by using a TRU-Infrared grate underneath the main cooking grate. This grate prevents the fire from coming directly in contact with your food, preventing flare-ups and hot spots. Instead, it evenly distributes the heat across the grill. And the shallow grooves catch fat droppings, which are then vaporized for maximum flavor.
- The main grates are made of cast iron for maximum heat transfer and porcelain-enameled for rust-protection. These grates have a cooking area of about 360 square inches.
- You also get two damper vents. The infrared technology, paired with the dual dampers, allows you to get more control over the temperature using lesser charcoals. It’s a recent innovation that has made Char-Broil one of the best home charcoal grill brands for backyard cook-outs.
- Now something that is a bit fancier, the Royal Gourmet is a one-of-a-kind charcoal grill that follows a more modern design scheme. It’s black all over, including the side-tables. And it features a 6-level height adjustment lever, a large steel handle, and a stately chimney.
- This char-broiler offers 393 square inches of primary cooking space, with 205 square inches of warming rack. Each grate is coated with porcelain enamel to eliminate cold spots.
- Inside the grill there is a charcoal pan that can be accessed via an elegant access hatch at the front. At the side of the hatch there is a 6-level lever shaped like a gear shift that controls the height of the charcoal pan. This allows you to vary the temperature intensity without adding in more coals.
- As for accessories, the Royal Gourmet has a ton of them. It has a bottom storage rack, two side tables, a smokestack, and a bottle opener.
- For a small and compact BBQ grill, the BEAU JARDIN is the best home charcoal grill. It measures 31.5 inches, in height, and has a diameter of 18 inches. The total cooking area of 255 square inches is suitable for small and moderate-sized families.
- This is a successor compared to a previous model, and the main upgrades here are the durable wheels and insulated handles. The lid and bowl have also had slight tweaks, but they use the same cast iron and porcelain-enameled design as before.
- The lid does not have a thermometer but it features a damper/air vent. This vent is useful when letting out smoke and controlling the temperature. The design also stands out, despite being a simple kettle grill. It has 4 legs that are spread apart to prevent it from falling over.
- The Cuisinart is a small portable charcoal grill that sits flush against any backyard BBQ setup. It features 150 square inches of primary cooking space and a chrome-plated grilling grate. It’s small in diameter, so you don’t get much space to cook, but it is quite tall, at about 3 feet in height. So, it’s not too uncomfortable to use, unlike other portable charcoal grills.
- In addition to being manageable, the lid has three locks that make transportation less messy. And the two caster wheels at the back only add to the moving convenience. So, by all accounts, this is one of the best home charcoal grills because of its portability.
- Aside from that, the firebox and ash catcher are all coated with enamel, and provide a means of convenient operation. While the firebox cannot be height-adjusted, you do get a hinged grate to make it easier to add more coals to it. So, it’s kind of a bitter-sweet affair.
FAQs and Tips:
Charcoal vs. Charcoal Kettle Grill?
These grills can be found in two styles: standard charcoal grills, and kettle grills. The standard ones are a bit longer and rectangular and have a wider surface area. They usually feature side tables and a warming rack, having more control over the food.
Kettle grills are shaped like kettles or eggs, being spherical. They have a smaller cooking area but are great for saving space. And many can be found for a cheap price.
What to look for in the best home charcoal grill?
The best charcoal grills usually feature lots of temperature control and a wide cooking area. However, you can also look for some smaller ones for portability. Temperature control is usually provided utilizing a damper, a chimney, and/or a height-adjustable coal pan.
You should also look for ease of cleaning and use. Many grills have ashtrays that catch falling grease and ash to make it easier to dump out.
What are some good charcoal grill brands?
Weber has a variety of charcoal grills, including its original kettle grills. Char-Broil and Cuisinart are also great choices, as is Char-Griller. Dyna-Glo and Kamado have recently entered the spotlight as well.
Charcoal grills have a special place in American cuisine. They’re the oldest types of grills and can be very trivial to use. And recent modifications now make them just as convenient as modern grills.
But not all charcoal grills are made the same. During our review of the 5 best home charcoal grills, we found that the Weber Premium stood out the most. That’s partly due to the brand’s reliability, and partially due to the grill’s features.
So, what are you waiting for? Gather your friends, turn up the heat, and get this party started!
And what will be the best home charcoal grill in 2023? If you are interested in this subject subscribe us and share your opinion in a comment. Thank you!