A grill cover might seem like an unimportant part of your barbeque set up. But it helps to protect grill from debris, dirt and other things that might shorten its service life. It essentially protects the grill by keeping it clean and dry since it spends so much time outdoors. However, just like anything else that spends so much time in outdoors, it is very likely that your Weber grill cover becomes dirty over time. This can reduce how effective the grill cover is not to mention causing further damage with time. This is why it is important to clean your grill cover once in a while. Here is a basic guideline for this and some tips on how to take care of your Weber grill cover.
Procedure to Clean a Weber Grill Cover
- Start by removing all the large debris. This includes leaves, twigs, and so on.
- Remove the cover and use a hose to rinse it off.
3. Using a mild soapy solution and a soft rag to scrub off the dirt from the grill cover. You should avoid using anything abrasive as harsh chemicals can damage the cover.
4. Rinse off the cover with water using a hose. Once you are done, hang the cover to dry. Ensure that it is completely dry before replacing it on the grill.
Additional tips to care for a Weber grill cover
Asides the basic cleaning procedures, there are other simple precautions you should take in order to prevent damage and prolong the life of your Weber grill cover.
- You should avoid cleaning it with a metal scouring pad or hard wire brush. The only portion of your grill that is strong enough to be cleaned with a scouring pad is the grate. Doing so to your grill cover and other delicate parts might damage the protective finding on it.
- Always use a non-toxic, non-flammable and non-abrasive chemical for cleaning your grill cover. Using them not only damage the cover but can also be unsafe for your cooking area as well.
- Washing your grill cover in the washing machine isn’t recommended. While it doesn’t automatically mean the cover will be damaged as some users claim they do so without any harm, but there are others who also reported damage as a result of agitation or harsh chemicals used in the washing.
- It is important to keep your grill covered when it is not in use. This means you will have to use the cover all year long in order to keep the grill clean and extend its life.
Grease removal from Weber grill covers
Since your grill inevitably makes contact with oil and grease, you will most likely end up with a buildup with time. To get rid of grease buildup on your grill cover and even the grill itself, you need a degreaser. In many cases, Weber grill comes with its own specially formulated cleaner which works for cleaning grease and other types of stains. Also, while there are a lot of degreasers out there, a good number of them are unsafe for food preparation. Thus, you should buy a degreaser that is mild and non-toxic. An eco-friendly option that is perfectly safe for use in the cooking area should be your target. In addition to the degreaser, you will also need the following tools.
- Wire brush
- Cloth scouring pad or any other type of soft pad
- Water Hose
- A clean spray bottle
Steps for grease removal from your grill cover
Getting rid of grease isn’t difficult at all, in fact with the right cleanser and some water, you will have it out in no time.
- Pour some of your degreasers into a spray bottle and sprinkle a generous quantity on the greasy surface of the grill cover
- Allow this to sit in for a few minutes
- Use the soft scouring cloth to clean off the grease. Ensure that you are not using a hard brush or iron scouring pad for this. Instead, you should gently wipe the grill cover.
- Once you have wiped the grill cover this way, rinse with water using the hose
- Air-dry the cover once you are done the cleaning.
How to clean your grill cover with natural cleaners
As mentioned, regular cleaners and detergents can be too harsh to be used on your grill cover. Finding non-toxic natural cleaners is a perfect alternative to help you avoid detergents with harsh chemicals. Natural ones are just as effective for cleaning, and you might even find some of them on sale in a store near you. However, if you don’t want to go through the stress of finding a natural cleaner, you can simply make one yourself using some simple ingredients readily available in your kitchen.
The ingredients you need include:
- One tablespoon baking soda
- One tablespoon of Sal Suds
- One tablespoon of cleaning vinegar. If this isn’t available, you can use distilled white vinegar instead
- Two tablespoons of avocado oil spray
Instructions for cleaning your grill cover with natural cleaners
Mix the baking soda, Sal Suds, and vinegar with about 12 ounces of slightly warm water. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and gently swirl this bottle to ensure that the solution is properly mixed. You can then proceed to spray this natural homemade cleaning mixture onto your grilling cover to thoroughly coat it. Use a very soft brush or cloth to rub the mixture in, and then rinse with some water. With this, you should get rid of the grease buildup completely.
Once you have cleaned the grill cover this way, you can then spray the avocado oil mentioned earlier onto a paper towel and use it to wipe the grill cover. It will serve as additional protection preventing damage with time.
Most people overlook their grill cover and only focus on cleaning the grill itself. Although failing to clean the cover doesn’t affect the grill directly, it might affect how effective the grill cover is at keeping dirt away in the long run, which is why caring with it is important. This doesn’t mean you have to clean it every week but doing so once in a while isn’t a bad idea at all. Just ensure you do so with the right materials to avoid damages.